"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot." - Aldo Leopold

Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Wood Duck Breakfast Sandwich


A hot wood duck shoot is heart-stopping action. Why not flip it into a hot heart-stopping breakfast?

OK Fellow Fatties, take your de-boned duck breast and soak in cold water or milk for 20-30 minutes to remove blood from the meat. Meanwhile, start a skillet of bacon and cook to your desired Level of Crispy. Dip the duck in flour and your favorite game seasoning. Fry in the bacon grease until the flour is browned and blood leaches out either side when pricked with a fork. Your aim here is to cook it about medium.

Set aside the bacon and duck, and crack an egg in the skillet. I go broken yolk and fried hard topped with salt, pepper, and shredded cheddar cheese, but to each his own.

Assemble duck, bacon, and egg on a toasted hamburger bun and top with copious shakes from a bottle of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.

Teal is a fair substitute if you lack the woodies. I suppose any duck would work, but woodies are the tastiest, in my opinion. If you're like me with little regard for your circulatory system, this is a delicioso sodium surprise in the camp and at home.

Enjoy.

5 comments:

julia Mason said...

Why would you shoot such a beautiful bird? My husband used to hunt doves but not any more. He likes to watch them when they land in our yard.

Ian Nance said...

Yes they are beautiful animals. I take pictures of them all the time up in Homosassa and have a gorgeous print of one in my living room.

Having said that, they are a challenging duck to hunt and are fantastic tablefare. I typically take a couple a year and always feel lucky to have it to work with in the kitchen.

Thanks for your comment.

The Writing Huntress said...

Yummmmmmmmmmm. DU got a couple woodies and I'll definitely try this!

spotted face said...

Looks delish! Little crispier on the rashers, though.

Ian Nance said...

I like my salted pork products medium to medium rare :)