"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot." - Aldo Leopold

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Oven Baked Wild Pork Chops


The Prize Pig for this recipe is a 90-120 lb. dry sow or young boar, preferably a fat one taken during the acorn drop or who frequents the local friendly corn feeder. Any smaller and you won’t have much of a pork chop. Bigger – well, who knows? Could be tougher, maybe not.

But let’s hypothesize that this size swine constitutes the majority of the wild hog harvest in these here parts. Makes up most of my feral hog body count. You could cut the backstraps out and have a lovely meal – most folks do. This is just another option that is a crowd and finicky-eater pleaser.

Take the dressed hog to the local butcher with the backstraps and tenderloins still attached to the carcass. I don’t have the tools necessary to make the clean cuts necessary for chops. I have tried with meat saws – it’s messy and I don’t recommend it. The meat man will have it sliced and wrapped in no time flat. The chops should be about an inch thick.

If you feel the swine smells a little gamey, soak it in milk for thirty minutes to an hour. This will subdue any unpalatable flavors. Trim fat and gristle. I realize this is sacrilege with store-bought pork, but trust me with the wild thing. It’s usually sinewy and gross.

Preheat oven to 425 and spray a baking sheet or broiler pan with Pam.

Season the chops with whatever spices you prefer - garlic salt, pepper, garlic pepper, paprika, garlic paprika. Most recently I used Penzey’s Chicago Steak Seasoning.

Dip the seasoned chops into an egg wash, then into Vigo Italian Breadcrumbs, coating well. Line on pan, place in oven, and cook 15 minutes or until done. Let sit for 10 minutes before eating

Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ is a fine complementary sauce. Sticky Fingers Carolina Style sauce is excellent, too. Eat with hands.

Not all wild hog belongs on a smoker or ground into sausage. Next time you pop a hog, give this a try.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Sweet Baby Ray's!! Makes you feel sorry for those folks up North who more than likely don't have the proper BBQ sauce!

The Writing Huntress said...

Ian- Why must you do this to me at 10pn when I have no wild hog to prepare? (sighs) Once I do get one, I'll keep that recipe in mind!

PS. Do you follow House of Jerky on Twitter? They sent me a bunch of their product to review (which should be coming up here shortly). They had peppered wild Boar jerky. Talk about delish.

HLYH

Ian Nance said...

Trey, I believe they use ketchup...or catsup or however they spell it.

And HLYH, umm, you need to get out and kill a hog. Immediately.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Nice porker
Sounds like good eating too
Cheers
SBW