"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot." - Aldo Leopold

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

ESPN Outdoors Turkey Camera


Turkey cameras? Carolyn just rolled her eyes. She has been a suffering gobbler widow for a couple months now. The early, pre-dawn mornings of me staggering around in the dark fighting with rubber boots, trying to be quiet and let her sleep, unsuccessfully. The lonely weekends. The ceaseless beer-fueled conversations with my buddies. And, of course, the hours of outdoor TV. "Enough!" I could hear her teeth grit.

It's true, though, that the fine folks at ESPN.com have introduced "The Turkey Cam."

Basically, it's a live feed of a tripod feeder. I've seen a couple toms, a few hens, and a small buck chew through the corn, but all I can ever think about when I watch this is whacking through the swarm of squirrels that bounce on and off the metal can all hours of the day. They are almost too fat to climb the trees now. I swear I saw one slide down a tree trunk, it's grubby little claws shredding back the bark as it stripper-poled down to the ground.

Check it out, if you are allowed.

No comments: